5 Facts About Barcelona:
1. Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia, an autonomous community of Spain that consists of four provinces: Barcelona, Girona, Lleida, and Tarragona.
2. Barcelona has a Mediterranean climate with mild, humid winters and warm, dry summers. Winter temperatures range from 39 to 63 °F, compared to summertime temperatures between73 to 90 °F. Frosts and snow are rare.
3. There are two stories about the founding of Barcelona. One version claims the city was founded by Hercules, 400 years before the building of Rome.
4. Gaudi is best-known for the immense, iconic but still unfinished Sagrada Família cathedral, which has been under construction since 1882.
5. Flamenco is not popular in Barcelona as it is in other parts of Spain. There is a strong contemporary rock-n-roll scene with some night clubs in Barcelona open until 6 am on weekends.