5 Facts About Barcelona:
1. Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia, an autonomous community of Spain that consists of four provinces: Barcelona, Girona, Lleida, and Tarragona.
2. Barcelona has a Mediterranean climate with mild, humid winters and warm, dry summers. Winter temperatures range from 39 to 63 °F, compared to summertime temperatures between73 to 90 °F. Frosts and snow are rare.
3. There are two stories about the founding of Barcelona. One version claims the city was founded by Hercules, 400 years before the building of Rome.
4. Gaudi is best-known for the immense, iconic but still unfinished Sagrada Família cathedral, which has been under construction since 1882.
5. Flamenco is not popular in Barcelona as it is in other parts of Spain. There is a strong contemporary rock-n-roll scene with some night clubs in Barcelona open until 6 am on weekends.
In the Middle Ages Barcelona was known by several other names including Barchinona, Barchenona, Barcalona, and Barchchelonaa.
Barcelona is one of those mythic cities people never forget visiting when on their Spain vacation.
Founded as a Roman city, Barcelona is now the capital city of Catalonia in Spain. Facing the Mediterranean Sea, Barcelona attracts millions of tourists every year to witness its pristine beaches and world renowned architecture.
With sandy Mediterranean beaches, fabled architecture, and mouth-watering food, Barcelona is sure to mesmerize you.
1. Es la cuarta ciudad del mundo con más ‘selfies’
Barcelona es la cuarta urbe del mundo y la primera en España en la que más selfies se hacen y se comparten en las redes sociales. Encabezan la lista planetaria Londres, Nueva York y Amsterdam.